Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What am I hoping to do with this blog?

My name is Irvin Scott, and I am a teacher at heart. I began my teaching experience in 1989 with Mr. Kenneth Barrett, at J. P. McCaskey High School in Lancaster, PA. McCaskey was a typical, large, urban, American high school. However, at the time, the demographics were changing dramatically. Like so many cities before it, Lancaster was realizing what is commonly referred to as "white flight." I was coming into the profession at the height of that shift.

I fell in love with teaching the moment I started. I often wonder why I took to it so quickly. I think some of it had to do with my propensity towards being on stage. Some of it also had to do with my passion for literature and writing. And then some of it had to do with a deep seeded desire to see others succeed.

I begin this blog this way because I want to use it as a medium for getting in touch with what it meant for me to be a teacher for 15 years. I speak in past tense because I am not a classroom teacher now, per se. However, I call myself a teacher because that professional experience continues to shape my personal and professional experiences to this day.

I look foward to engaging in this forum over time. I would be interested in your thoughts, comments, and feedback.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the teacher blog-o-sphere. I am looking forward to more posts from you, will follow and post you on my blogroll. Good luck, and don't give up. Our voices must be heard.

    www.americasfutureinsidestory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete